Island Hopping to Pulau Ubin
Today is Vesak Day and a holiday in Singapore. As intended, we headed to Pulau Ubin today. What we did not anticipate was the big crowd at the Changi Ferry Terminal. Did not realise that many people were going there for prayers. In any case, the queue was orderly and only took about 15-20 minutes to get the boat ride to Pulau Ubin. Depending on the size of the boat, one boat can fit at least 10 seated people. It only takes about 15 minutes ride to reach Pulau Ubin. Plenty of time to snap photographs.
One of my favourite spot upon arrival is this picture. There is this wooden house above water looking rustic and on the left frame a derelict looking pier. I simply find the scene charming.
Beautiful blue sky today. Hot and humid though.
- Ferry ride cost S$2.50 for adults. Children may cost less. Ask the captain.
- There are many cycling shops here, so it is not necessary to hire one from Changi Village.
- Bring plenty of water as dehydration can cause sickness.
- Bring along coins to buy more drinks from the vending machines. A bottle of H20 costs S$2/- while tin can costs S$1.40. Or buy at the stalls near the entrance of Pulau Ubin. Or buy at Changi Village as a bottle only costs S$1.50.
- There are mini-vans here that bring along visitors to the tourist attractions. Ours cost S$12 per van each trip. For the old folks, this is ideal. A mini-van can easily fit about 10 people in the back with lots of room for bags. There is also a seat next to the driver.
Tomorrow, part two – the mangrove boardwalk.