The past two posts show photos of the Singapore River and the skyscrapers along the river and Marina Bay. So I thought this picture is appropriate and ties in with the theme.
Here are a few interesting facts about the Merlion. In Singapore, there are only 5 Merlions recognised by the STB :
- The original statue at Merlion Park standing at 8.6 metre (shown in this picture)
- The cub statue behind the above Merlion standing at 2 metre
- The Merlion at Sentosa standing at 37 metre
- The glazed polymarble Merlion at Tourism Court standing at 3 metre
- Another polymarble Merlion on Mount Faber’s Faber Point standing at 3 metre
The first 3 Merlions I have seen and photograph, the other two I have yet to see them. Shame. Who knows there are that many?
Other interesting history
The Merlion in the above picture was struck by lightning on 28 February 2009 at about 4.26pm. This happened as there was no lightning protection.
Source : Wikipedia